Over the last few years, smart thermostats have become increasingly popular among homeowners in northern Utah and throughout the rest of the country. However, many people still don’t really know much about them or why they’re the latest trend in home energy efficiency and household comfort.
Are you wondering why everyone seems to be jumping on the smart thermostat bandwagon? When you see what these clever devices can do, you’ll soon be a believer too.
What Is a Smart Thermostat?
A programmable thermostat allows you to set your home heating and cooling systems to maintain different temperatures at different times, depending upon your household needs.
A smart thermostat does the very same thing – but you don’t have to program the device unless you want to. Thanks to the advanced technology it contains, this type of thermostat learns your preferences and programs itself to meet your needs.
Advantages of Installing a Smart Thermostat
Replacing your current thermostat with a smart version offers several benefits:
- Effortless home comfort – Your household will remain comfortable all the time, without you needing to adjust the temperature or set a schedule for turning the thermostat up and down.
- Wireless connectivity – You can access the thermostat settings and make adjustments remotely via your smartphone, tablet or computer.
- Voice command – You can connect your Amazon Echo or Google Home to the thermostat and use your voice to control the device.
- Usage information – The device compiles data about your home energy use, which you can review to fine-tune your HVAC system usage.
- HVAC system maintenance – The device will let you know when it’s time to change the furnace filter or if there’s a problem with your HVAC system.
We saved one of the biggest advantages for last –saving money. Upgrade your thermostat to a smart one, and you’ll cut your monthly energy costs by quite a bit. For many people, that’s reason enough to schedule an installation!
How Much Can You Save with a Smart Thermostat?
We can’t tell you the exact amount of money you’ll save after upgrading your thermostat – but we tell you that the average homeowner slashes their heating bills by about 10 to 12 percent. As for cooling bills, they typically drop by about 15 percent.
Altogether, most people save well over $100 per year, and most thermostat upgrades pay for themselves in just a couple of years. With local utility company rebates – Rocky Mountain Power currently offers $50 back after installation – many homeowners can reach the break-even point faster.
Have we convinced you to upgrade your thermostat? Or do you have questions? For more information, call on the professional team at Black Diamond Electric, Plumbing, Heating & Air.
A northern Utah industry leader, Black Diamond Experts can explain your options and offer expert advice on how to maintain your home comfort. Contact our Salt Lake City, Orem or Riverdale office and schedule a consultation to discuss smart thermostat installation today.