Our furry friends make our lives more fulfilling, but they can also be an extra strain on our homes and HVAC system. No matter how clean or non-shedding your animals may be, they still leave their mark inside our living spaces and affect our air conditioning, heating, and ventilation systems.
Black Diamond Electric, Plumbing, Heating, and Air spends a lot of time helping homeowners optimize their HVAC systems, repair HVAC damage, and replace dead HVAC units.
Our experts have identified lots of complications in HVAC systems caused by pets, as well as key ways to better maintain and optimize your HVAC units with your furry friends.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Maintenance Tips For Pet Owners:
- Groom Frequently: Your pets shed hair, accumulate dirt and pollen, and track in debris from outside. By regularly washing and grooming your pets you can decrease the number of contaminants that come into your home, which will improve your air quality and reduce strain on your air filters.
- Upgrade Your HVAC Filter: Upgrade your standard HVAC filter to a higher-performing filter. If you have pets, it’s well worth the minor increase in cost to better trap the pet dander and hair that circulate in your home. In addition to using a higher MERV rating HVAC filter, you should replace the filter more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. Set a reminder to replace the filter in your calendar so you won’t forget.
- Protect Your AC Condenser Unit: Your AC condenser unit outside can be a magnet for curious pets. It’s common for animals to urinate on condenser units, or even to climb and scratch at it. Surrounding your condenser unit with a small fence or wall can protect your condenser unit from pets, children, or feral animals who could cause damage.
- Regularly Check Your HVAC Unit: One of the challenges of an inefficient HVAC unit is that you may not even notice the problem. Over time your HVAC unit will have to work harder and harder to overcome blocked filters and other inefficiencies. You’ll slowly be paying more for your utilities without realizing your HVAC unit is running poorly. You can avoid this by regularly checking your HVAC unit yourself or calling Black Diamond for maintenance help.
- Clean Carefully: Unfortunately, your home can be accumulating pet hair, dander, allergens, and dust in areas you don’t always see. Regularly dusting and vacuuming is important to keep your air quality clean. Keep lint rollers on hand, and launder any blankets, pillows, or pet beds that your animals love to cuddle at least once a month but preferably more frequently.
Our pets are important members of our family, but they’re also the messiest. We can do a better job of minimizing their negative impact on our homes and keeping our HVAC systems in safe and efficient shape. Taking careful maintenance of your HVAC system can keep it running smoothly, save you money on utilities, and prevent expensive repairs or replacement. Black Diamond Electric, Plumbing, Heating, and Air can help keep your HVAC system healthy, even with shedding pets.