Have you discovered the benefits of a smart thermostat or programmable thermostat? If you are still using a manual thermostat you are missing out on energy cost savings, programmable temperature scheduling, automated temperature control, and the comfort and convenience that remote technology can bring. Discover the benefits of these thermostats and decide if they’re right for your needs and budget.
Programmable thermostats are the next step up from a manual model. A programmable thermostat has the ability to adjust your heating and cooling equipment based on the schedule and temperature that you set. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you could save as much as 10% on your home heating and cooling costs each year, simply by adjusting your thermostat 7–10 degrees from its normal setting for eight hours a day. If you have an empty house while you are at work, a programmable thermostat will allow you to easily reduce your energy usage during those hours.
Smart Thermostat Benefits
A smart home is no longer a futuristic pipe dream; it’s a reality. With a smart thermostat, its ability to learn a homeowner’s schedule and adjust temperatures automatically has several benefits, including:
- Remote access – One key benefits people love about a smart thermostat is the convenience of accessing it from anywhere. You can adjust it at home or work, and do so from an app on your phone, allowing for energy-savings even while you are away. Smart thermostats quickly learn how long it takes to return to or smartly recover your desired temperature after an energy-saving period. With a smart thermostat, you will no longer wake up or come home to a cold home.
- Affordable versions – Manufacturers of popular brands like Nest and Ecobee have released more affordable “lite” versions; these do a great job, without the advanced features that you may not take advantage of.
- Sensors – Some smart thermostats make use of room sensors that can detect occupancy and temperature; the sensor can signal an automatic temperature adjustment to enhance your whole-home comfort level.
- Smart App – Smart thermostats utilize apps that can be used on your phone or tablet. These apps let you see your energy use, change the temperature, settings, and get notifications.
- Voice command through Google or Amazon Echo – Smart thermostats like Google’s Nest can integrate with your voice-activated devices allowing you to verbally control your thermostat for authentic smart home experience.
Call Black Diamond Experts
If you need help choosing what type of thermostat is best for you, please give us a call. Our customer service can answer your questions and set up a consultation with one of our home comfort experts. We’d love to hear from you, so call us today!